Saturday, March 19, 2011

Spilt Milk

So I am sure many moms will relate to this, SPILT MILK.

As a nursing mom I love knowing that I am providing my babies with so many nutrients and antibodies that will help them for the rest of their lives. I am grateful that my body is able to produce the nourishment that my babies need and feel that it is a great blessing.

Tonight I was needing to pump because I was working and my sweet brother and sister-in-law took the kids because Steve was working also. I finished pumping and had to clock back into work before I could take the bag of milk to the freezer. Once I was able to take it downstairs I noticed that the bag my milk was in had a hole and I had lost about 2 oz! To me that is so frustrating but it brought back to mind a funny story, now, but when it happened I was so upset, sad, frustrated, and felt like a bad mother. So here is my first story of being a nursing mom.

Tyson was just over a week old and was home but he had to stay in a suitcase of lights because his bilirubin was off balance. Now, keep in mind that while needing to be under the lights the only time we were supposed to take him out was to feed him and change his diaper.
That night there was a big storm and our power went out, which means, we could not have him under his lights. We drive to my Sister-in-laws home so that we can plug the lights back in. During this time I was also really sick and Tyson was not nursing well. I had become so full, I was crying, along with not being at home, worrying about my baby because he was not under the lights for about 30 minutes(which really wouldn't have made a difference in hind sight), basically I was having a meltdown of sorts. Steve does not remember any of this by the way(blocked from memory).
My Sister-in-law remembers that she had kept a manual pump, so I remember trying for what seemed like forever to pump and all I remember getting was about 2 oz. Even with that I did feel some relief. As I stand up to go into the kitchen I knocked over the bottle of my precious milk and it was all over the floor. At that point I just started to cry. I am not sure what Steve was thinking, but he headed to Wal-mart to buy an electric pump, and probably to escape his crazy wife that was crying because 2 oz of milk spilled, and thinking that I was hurting Tyson because he has been shorted a few ounces of milk (I put it to being a new mom, not crazy). Once I was able to hook up to my brand new electric double pump, I felt so much better, although I felt like a cow that was being milked. I have decided that sometimes dignity goes right out the window when you are a Mom.

Now that it is almost 6 years later I am happy to say that Tyson is a healthy, active boy that doesn't seem to be affected by the few ounces that were missed that Crazy, Stormy Night!!

I love being a Mom, and I am glad that I have the ability to look back on events that have
happened and can laugh and enjoy the journey that I am on!

2 comments:

  1. Expressed breast milk is like liquid gold! You work so hard for it, so when any of it spills it IS crazy making!

    It is funny to see how much less neurotic we are by baby 3, but even now, if I spill any breast milk I get TICKED!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is so funny and all to familiar to me! I remember Hadley (now 7) was under those lights too and being so neurotic too about everything! I remember the power going out too and being so engorged that I made Nick drive around while I pumped in the car using the cigarette lighter outlet majigger! If that milk spilled I felt like I had thrown away 20 dollars! Liquid Gold!!! Loved the story!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Reading!