Thursday, March 24, 2011

Patience Truly is a VIRTUE

I have always thought of myself as a patient person in all aspects of my life, but I am truly grateful when Heavenly Father takes the time to humble me when I am not remembering how important patience is, especially, as a Mom.

This situation has come up on other occasions when I guess you might say that I get consumed in other things and last night it was getting the kitchen clean. We were going through our regular routine at bedtime, PJ’s, reading, scriptures, prayer and then off to bed. Tyson fell asleep really fast and Parker was told to stay in his bed. I believe Parker came up 3 times because he needed to “go the the bathroom.” The first time was legit but the next two he was forcing himself to go. So I preceded to tuck him in again and said “Parker you need to stay in bed or I will have to take a token away for tomorrow.” “Otay, mom,” he tells me.

As I start cleaning the kitchen again I hear little footsteps, “Mom I need you to hold me.” I dry my hands pick him and carry him down stairs, rock him for a few minutes, tuck him in and tell him that I will come back down to check on him. Again I hear, “otay mommy.”

I once again preceded to clean the kitchen, (irritated because it is taking so long) and after about 20 min I remembered that I was going to check on Parker. Now, I should have gone down right then but I took about 5 more minutes to finish what I was dong. When I went down to his room expecting him to be asleep I find my sweet little Parker laying in bed like I told him to, wide eyed but looking so sad. I asked him why he was not able to go to sleep and this is his reply,

“I just want you to hold me Mom.” My heart pretty much sunk, as thought to myself how many times he has already asked me to hold him. I apologized to him for not taking time to hold him and he of course said “it’s otay mommy, I love you.”

After holding him in the rocking chair he asked if I would lay by him. I laid down next to him and stroked his hair and he fell soundly asleep.

Wow, I felt like an awful mother at that moment but at the same time I am so grateful for humility and that I have the opportunity to learn and grow everyday. I hope that I will remember next time that whatever it is I might be doing or trying to get done, it is not nearly as important as my precious children that I have been entrusted with or my wonderful husband who I love so much.

ParkerMy Sweet Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Reading!