Monday, March 28, 2011

Healthy Woman, Physically, Emotionally, & Spiritually

I have decided that I am ready to become a healthy Woman, that’s right Woman. This might sound selfish and I have thought this many times because, I should be focused on my family and all the other obligations that I have. Well I think I have finally figured out that in order to BE a great Wife, Mother, and any thing else that might come my way, I have to take time for me. I am ready to become strong & healthy physically, emotionally, & spiritually and I am excited for the journey ahead.

As I have thought back through my life and when I thought I was most happy a few specific times came to mind. First was when I was a sophomore/junior in High school. I was very fit and active, always out with great friends. During that time I was not eating a lot and I was exercising all the time, but to me I was finally where I thought I wanted to be. I had many family members worried and concerned about the weight I was losing and my eating habits, but I would lie and say that everything was fine.

The second time I thought of, was when I was a senior. I had a boyfriend that I thought was wonderful, I was a cheerleader, had lots of friends, doing great in school, what more could a girl ask for. I no longer could keep my body going with the little amount of food I was putting in so I turned to bulimia. I would get to a game, performance, track meet, or whatever it might have been early so that I could eat without anyone seeing(usually in the locker room), after I was done I would head right into the restroom to purge almost everything that I had previously consumed. This was working quite well for me and it did for a long time. I graduated with honors, went to college, still had the same boyfriend and started putting on some weight. After another year almost two my boyfriend and I broke up. I wish I could have figured out sooner that the boyfriend that I loved really wasn’t Mr. wonderful(I'm sure he is for someone), but someone who found the weaknesses in me and used my low self esteem to his advantage. I am not saying that I was blameless in the relationship by any means but in hind sight I wish I would have taken the advice that I received from my parents, family members, friends, and even some of His family which was, He did not deserve me and that I could find someone much better that would respect me and treat me the way I should be treated.

As many girls do I gained and lost weight over the next few years, continued with my bulimia and then eventually moved to SLC. My parents purchased a condo for me and several roommates to rent out and it was a Fantastic place. I was always having people over, ward parties, and just a great time. Still my self esteem was so bad that I always turned to my eating disorder for comfort. Bulimia was my friend, I was very carful to hide my disorder and it wasn’t until I finally told my roommate that I was able to get help. I was able to get a great therapist at a Wonderful Eating Disorder Clinic in Orem. After 2 years of treatment I was finally in a really great place with myself, eating healthy, exercising a normal amount, and really loving who I was.

I found a great guy that I am married to, Graduated with my Bachelors, started having kids, and now here I am. In the past I have always come up with excuses for why I am not eating the best or exercising or why I gained the weight that I have. Time to be done with all the self-pity and throw it in the garbage and that is exactly what I am doing.

I have enrolled in a 10 week Boot camp for Women only, to give myself a boost to healthy living. I love that my family is 100% behind me. My sweet boys are always asking me about boot camp and when it starts and what I will be doing. Steve is a great support and knows that if I become healthy the whole family will become more healthy. I am most excited that I am finally doing this for me, not anyone else although in the long run it will benefit all those around me, but it starts with me!

 

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it crazy that I saw you almost every day in high school and had NO IDEA that you struggled with an eating disorder. Wow, what a powerful story and even more power to the fact that you have overcome it and are on your way to becoming healthy from the inside out.

    You are amazing and I know your self worth is just that "yours" but know that I have always thought you were wonderful, beautiful and smart. Since I've started reading your blog I've been able to see what an amazing mother you are, great homemaker and still talented in so many ways. It makes me wish we lived closer so I could learn from you on an everyday basis!

    So keep up with your journey and know that I am inspired by you, no matter what you weigh:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I never knew you had an eating disorder either!?! I just love you and love reading your blog and all that you are up to! Good luck with Boot camp and all you are up to! Love getting the updates! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Reading!