Monday, September 20, 2010

2010 Canning Season




I have been so blessed this year to be able to get so much canning accomplished. Normally I am canning with my Aunt Michelle but this year due to scheduling and just life I did all of my canning alone. I must say that even though I enjoy canning, it is much more enjoyable and fun when doing it with others that love it as much as I do.

As for being blessed, this year I was very pregnant when the canning season began. I was able to start canning tomatoes at the end of August and that in itself was a blessing. In my past pregnancies by this point I was given strict limitations and even bed rest. From what I am hearing from so many people is their tomatoes have come on really late and some still do not have ripe tomatoes. My Mom & Dad are amazing and a huge part of my successful canning this year. I believe my parents planted 106 tomato plants this year along with peppers, zucchini, pumpkins, beans, peas, and a few other things.

I am hoping that I will feel well enough after the first frost to can some more applesauce to but if not we still have some left from last year.

Items canned this year:
Tomatoes, Salsa, Pears, 3 types of Jam, & 57 2-cup bags of Zucchini frozen. which equals 179 quartz and 73 pints of super yummy food for the coming year!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That's a very impressive feat, Janille! And it looks so pretty! Way to be prepared. If we get hit with a hurricane, or any other kind of "disaster" my family is pretty much screwed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Reading!